A day-to-day strive
Saturday, Mar 22, 2014

Leave Cali day 12

I separate out the stuff in the electronics lab to sell at the flea market, and decide what to move. pdf version
The main bench in my electronics lab has the stuff I hoped to move to Florida. I have already sold off many items on eBay or taken them to the eFlea, the Silicon Valley Electronic Flea Market. I still have some stuff to sell, so I took the day to go through the bedroom that serves as the lab.March is the first month of the eFlea, so it is a good time to decide what to sell and to put a price on it. One lucky thing is that the house in Florida was 100 square feet bigger, so in theory, I could fit everything into the new house. Still I ended up combining the two bedrooms in Silicon Valley for lab and music studio into one bedroom in Florida. The main driver was asking, "Have I used this thing in the last year? Based on that, it was easy to sell of a lot of stuff and get money to help with the move.
Bottom of first columnmove down to the left

I had two Hakko hot-air rework stations with several tips. I took them to the eFlea.
This Kepco power supply was an extra I could sell at the eFlea.
This dual HP pulse generator had one bad channel, but was still worth thousands.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
This HP 8131A 500MHz pulse generator was working fine. I dropped the price to $2000.
This HP 6038A power supply also got sold.
This little inspection reticle microscope was cute, but I never used it. I sold it off. I found that with the right price, everything sold.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
The HP 3577A network analyzer with the S-parameter attachment also got sold.
The temperature chamber was an albatross holding me in California. I sold it cheap.
I bought the temp chamber since it used CO2 instead of liquid nitrogen.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
You can put the DUT on the front panel shelf and wire in the test leads.
Here is the controller for the temp chamber.
The jack on the back led me to believe this chamber could work under software control, perhaps even GPIB.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
The back of the temp chamber had a grill to access the guts.
The name-plate says Sym-tek Systems. A lot of these chambers are custom-made.
Most of the stuff on this fabrication desk made the move to Florida. I put the desk on the curb.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
The computer made the move, everything else was sold, the desk was dumped.
One thing I regret is giving away the bins full of little parts. They weren't too heavy to move.
The Harley generator tested got saved. The parts bin got donated.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
The Samsung monitor down there did get moved. The prototype in the Private Page box got trashed. All the bookshelves got trashed. Plug strips and lamps and that WaveTek made the move to Florida.

My home lab setup was way overkill, a vestige of when I was a consultant. It also got a lot of street cred in Silicon Valley from my pals and bosses. I cut down on a lot of the high-frequency stuff, but still kept a good lab for Florida. I even improved and compacted the layout.

The smaller lab served me well as I did freelance work in Florida. I have to admit I don't use it as much these days, but it is nice to know it is ready for any project I might undertake.

What was easier than I expected was selling or giving away so much stuff. The money really helped defray the cost of the move. I also was able to help out friends who I could give a good deal to.

These days I am doing videos about my Harley Sportsters, and using that generator tester to show how to fix a generator. Next will be getting out the scope to show how the voltage regulator works. I will keep my lab for now.
move up a little to the right move down to the left
border bar
Bottom of first column This is the end.