Install Movable Type on a local XAMPP
|One solution is to just install Linux on a computer, and then Apache and then mysql, then Perl, and then Movable Type. Thing is, I just fear needing a 4-year CS degree to be conversant in Linux.
The alternate is to use XAMPP, which is a Windows software stack that installs Apache, mysql, PHP, and Perl. After Installing Movable Type, it did not work. Using the mt-check.cgi file, which at least would run, it said there was no DBD::mysql module installed in the Perl program. I tried and tried to install DBD::mysql in XAMPP but if I used ppm (Perl package manager) it failed sisnce it could not find some dll. If I tried CPAN, another installer, it would go get the module, but could not compile since, ta da, there is no Perl compiler included in XAMPP.
Short answer is I installed Strawberry Perl, and then did a CPAN install DBD::mysql, and only after a Windows reboot did Movable Type see the module. The detailed misery is below. You can't install DBD::mysql in XAMPP since XAMPP does not appear to have a Perl compiler. I assume that people that don't have my problems are CS majors with 5 or 6 Perl compilers installed and all the Win .NET and all the other good programmer stuff.
I solved the problem by installing Strawberry Perl 188.8.131.52 (64bit). Yes, the 64 bit version. Since I have already wasted two days on this I figured to reach for the moon. At first there was no change in the mt-check.cgi file, still no DBD::mysql module was found. Then I went into the Strawberry Perl CPAN.bat file, and did an install DBD:mysql. It did a lot of chugging and seemed much happier than when I did this in the XAMPP CPAN.bat, where it failed since it could not find Makefile.PL.
|mt-check.cgi still reported no DBD:mysql module. Then I noticed
that some of the Strawberry Perl files, like relocation.txt had 8.3
file-names with a tilde, and if figured that I was back in 1987. So I
stopped all the services and rebooted the computer. When it came back,
restarted the service in the XAMPP control panel and then mt-check.cgi
reported the DBD:mysql module was there. It may have been there all the
time, and I should have done the reboot after installing Strawberry
Perl, so maybe the whole CPAN.bat was silly. I did choose Strawberry
Perl since the DBD::mysql install docs say SP has it bundled.
I did have to change all the shebangs in the Movable Type .cgi files to point at the perl.exe in the Strawberry Perl sub-directory. Since I have heard Movable Type does not like spaces in path names, I did install Strawberry Perl in C:\Strawberry. Other voodoo I tried that was probably irrelevant was using file explorer to set all the cgi and pl files to open with perl.exe.
Movable Type 5.2 Pro on XAMPP 5.6.3:
If any single program, Win 7 Pro, XAMPP 5.6.3, Strawberry Perl 184.108.40.206 (64bit), Movable Type Pro 5.2.9 or even FileZilla and Notepad++ is different, none of this is likely to work and no one can help you. Note that you can use the regular ftp on Filezilla if you don't care about security. To use sftp I had to go up to Dreamhost and mess around to set some sftp setting in the domain I think it was. Suffer on soldier, suffer on.
The Step C, profit, part of this for me is that my Movable Type has really large scripts in the category page template so I get 504 Gateway Timeouts from DreamHost. They tell me things are taking to long so they kill the process. I thought about upgrading to a VPS, I sure can't afford a $200-a-month dedicated server, but then I still have a dog-slow Movable Type even if there are enough resources to not have the Gateway timeout.
Note you can point the Movable Type config file to still use the web database. There you have to go to your webhost, and for the user enable the IP address or the incoming address of the request. With the Brighthouse Networks here, that was a string with dashes between my IP address instead of periods and something like bbh.net concatenated to it.
|It turns out my Movable Type is still dog slow when I point it to the
web database, so I am stuck with running a local Movable Type with a
local database. Not the worse thing in the world, but I have to backup
or mirror the database somewhere. My big deal is that its not too hard
to set up this local Movable Type to generate HTML pages with the proper
URLS and such. I am not running any dynamic
content, no comments, no
trackbacks no external uses other than me. So I intend to just use this
local Movable Type and the sftp the files up to Dreamhost, which will
work fine slinging static HTML, even for 9 dollars a month.
[Update} The giant category template file creation that caused 504 Gateway timeout on the Dreamhost Movable Type install ran in 2:45 on my XP box with the old XAMPP and the kludge Perl I managed to get working. The box is a Athlon Thunderbird 4800+. The Lenovo Laptop (i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.3GHz) where I got this install running does the template files in 1:10, over twice as fast. It was worth the two days suffering to get this working.
And one cool-guy thing is you can run the local Movable Type from any computer on your LAN as long as the install box is powered up. Just type the IP address of the install box into the browser address bar and you should get the XAMPP page, then just figure out the paths to do the same mt.cgi file. For this you might want to go into your router and reserve the IP address so your install box will always have the same IP address.
This post is in these categories: